Simon (16-3 MMA, 4-2 UFC) announced on Friday that he’s been removed from his bantamweight matchup with Kelleher (21-11 MMA, 5-4 UFC) on the Sept. 5 event in Las Vegas after one of his cornermen tested positive for COVID-19.
Below is his announcement statement on social (via Twitter):
I just got the call that they are pulling me from the card due to one of my cornermen testing positive for Covid. I put in so much work for this fight and I was really looking forward to putting on a show for you guys. To say I’m disappointed is an understatement. pic.twitter.com/bHg43523T2
— Ricky Simón (@RickySimonUFC) August 29, 2020
I just got the call that they are pulling me from the card due to one of my cornermen testing positive for Covid. I put in so much work for this fight and I was really looking forward to putting on a show for you guys. To say I’m disappointed is an understatement.
Simon did not elaborate on the situation. He did not indicated he’d tested positive for coronavirus, which likely means the promotion pulled him from the card as a precautionary measure.
It’s unknown at this time if the promotion will seek a replacement opponent for Kelleher on one weeks’ notice or if the matchup will be rescheduled for a later date.
Simon most recently competed at UFC on ESPN+ 29 in May, outworking former title challenger Ray Borg to a split decision.
The latest UFC on ESPN+ 34 lineup now includes:
- Alistair Overeem vs. Augusto Sakai
- Alonzo Menifield vs. Ovince Saint Preux
- Sijara Eubanks vs. Karol Rosa
- Zelim Imadaev vs. Michel Pereira
- Julia Avila vs. Nicco Montano
- Brian Kelleher vs. opponent TBA
- Viviane Araujo vs. Montana De La Rosa
- Bartosz Fabinski vs. Andre Muniz
- Marcos Rogerio de Lima vs. Alexander Romanov
- Thiago Moises vs. Jalin Turner
- Hunter Azure vs. Cole Smith