After impressing in his UFC debut, Mounir Lazzez will return to action on “UFC Fight Island.”
Lazzez (10-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) will face David Zawada (17-5 MMA, 1-2 UFC) at the UFC’s Oct. 17 event, which will take place at Yas Island in Abu Dhabi.
MMA Junkie confirmed the targeted booking with two people with knowledge of the situation. The people requested anonymity because the promotion has yet to make an official announcement.
Lazzez, the first born-and-raised Arab fighter to be signed to the UFC, cashed in as a big underdog when he upset the highly touted Abdul Razak Alhassan at UFC on ESPN 13 in July. Lazzez stood toe-to-toe with the power puncher and weathered an early storm before going on to showcase his well-rounded game en route to a unanimous decision victory.
His upcoming opponent Zawada is coming off a big upset of his own, when he earned the “Performance of the Night” bonus for submitting the debuting Abubakar Nurmagomedov in the first round last November at UFC on ESPN+ 21 in Moscow.
With the addition, the latest Oct. 17 lineup includes:
- Chan Sung Jung vs. Brian Ortega
- Jessica Andrade vs. Katlyn Chookagian
- Modestas Bukauskas vs. Jimmy Crute
- Muslim Salikhov vs. Claudio Silva
- Renato Moicano vs. Magomed Mustafaev
- Poliana Botelho vs. Gillian Robertson
- Jun Yong Park vs. John Phillips
- Shamil Abdurakhimov vs. Ciryl Gane
- Gadzhimurad Antigulov vs. Maxim Grishin
- Said Nurmagomedov vs. Mark Striegl
- Mounir Lazzez vs. David Zawada